THE OUTLINE OF THE PRESENTATION
HOLLYWOOD – THE HEART OF FILM INDUSTRY
- Warm up with game “Word Cross” (Group)
- Lead to the topic: (Minh Ha)
“Due to its fame and cultural identity as the historical center of movie studios and movie stars, the word “Hollywood” is often used as a metonymy of American cinema, and is also often used to refer to the greater Los Angeles area in general. The nickname Tinseltown refers to Hollywood and the movie industry. Today, we will improve that Hollywood is really the home of movie.”
- General knowledge of Hollywood
- Where is Hollywood located?
Hollywood is a district in the Central Region of Los Angeles, California, the United States.
- How did Hollywood get its name?
There are two common legends.
1st: According to the diary of H. J. Whitley, known as the “Father of Hollywood”, on his honeymoon in 1886 he stood at the top of the hill looking out over the valley. Along came a Chinese man in a wagon carrying wood. The man got out of the wagon and bowed. The Chinese man was asked what he was doing and replied, “I holly-wood”, meaning ‘hauling wood.’ H. J. Whitley had an idea and decided to name his new town Hollywood.
2nd: Another story refers the name to Harvey Wilcox who bought land in the area for development of homes. His wife, Daeida met a woman on a train to Hicksville who described her summer home near Chicago that she called Hollywood. Daeide who liked the name gave it to their new development. The name first appeared on the Wilcox’s map of the subdivision, filed to the county recorder on February 1, 1887.
- Where you should go in Hollywood?
*Capitol Records: This is a major USA record label, founded in 1942
- Walk of Fame: A number of sidewalks on Hollywood Boulevard, Founded in 1958.
*Universal Studios: One of the oldest and most well-known Hollywood film studios. Founded in1964
*The Magic Castle: Night club for magicians and magic enthusiasts, founded in 1962.
*The Hollywood Sign: the timeless symbol of Hollywood, located in the Hollywood Hills, established in1923.
More knowledge: – The origin of the famous “Hollywood” sign is embedded in Americana. It was installed originally to advertise a new subdivision near the top of Mount Lee, called “Hollywoodland.” After being erected in 1923, the sign fell into disrepair. The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce was given authority to remove the last four letters and restore the remaining portions of the sign on the hillside, in 1943. The sign is now a registered trademark owned by the Chamber of Commerce, and may only be used in filming with their permission.
-In September 16, 1932 the body of Broadway actress Peg Entwistle was found in a ravine below the sign. She had been living at her uncle’s house in Beachwood Canyon. A suicide note was found in a purse anonymously dropped off at the Hollywood police station. Police surmised Entwistle jumped to her death from the letter H
- History of Hollywood (Le Hien)
The history of Hollywood can be divided into 4 periods of time:
- Origins Hollywood (1894-1927)
- By 1900, Hollywood had a population of 500, a post office, a newspaper, a hotel, and two markets.
- In the early 1900s, filmmakers began moving to the Los Angeles area to get away from the strict rules imposed by Thomas Edison’s Motion Picture Patents Company in New Jersey
- 1910, Director D. W. Griffith was the first to make a motion picture in Hollywood. The first studio in Hollywood, the Nestor Motion Picture Company shot its first film (In old California) in 1911.
- By 1912, major motion picture companies had set up production in Los Angeles. Soon, many studios began to emerge by different companies including Paramount, Warner Bros, RKO, Fox and MGM. Hollywood was the fifth largest industry in the nation
- The Golden Age (1927- 1949)
- The start of the Golden Age of Hollywood was when The Jazz Singer was released in 1927 which marked the end to the silent era and increased box- office profits for films as sound was introduced to feature films.
- Then in 1928, Walt Disney produced the first fully synchronized sound cartoon, including character sounds and a musical score. Steamboat Willie was the first cartoon to feature a fully post-produced soundtrack which distinguished it from earlier sound cartoons.
- The period from 1930 to 1949 in American film industry was ruled by five big studios known as the “Big Five” (Paramount, Warner Bros, RKO and Columbia and Metro Golden Mayer)
- RKO’S “Becky Sharp (1937) was the first feature-length Technicolor film. Major hits from the “Big Five” studios .
- Disney’s Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937), Silly Symphonies, The Old Mill.
- The decline of Studios System (1950-1980)
- After massive success by “Big Five” studios, in 1949 the major studios were forced to sell off the cinema chains that they owned by the US government, after a court ruling that their practices were monopolistic.
- Besides, the American film industry rapidly declined during the period of 1950 because people choose television over cinema.
- The new Hollywood (1980-now)
It wasn’t until the late 1980s that Hollywood studios fully recovered.
- After 1980s, again Hollywood film industry saw a high rise in cinema business as new film studios begin to emerge. By the end of 1980s there were six big studios ruling over The American film industry (Paramount, Warner Bros, Columbia, Walt Disney Universal and 20th Century Fox). All of these companies are subsidiaries of major media conglomerates
- Until this date these big companies rule over Hollywood, however there are small studios as well that are contributing their effort in American film industry.
- These major film studios have given us a lot of hit movies such as Gone with the Wind (1939), Star Wars (1977), Titanic (1997), and Avatar (2009). At present, American film studios collectively generate several hundred movies per year.
- Hollywood has given recognition to many remarkable directors such as Alfred Hitchcock, Francis Ford Copolla, James Cameron, Martin Scorcese, Roman Polanski,Tim Burton, David Fincher, Christopher Nolan and the list goes on.
- The reasons Hollywood is called the home of the film industry
- The number of studios in Hollywood.
As we know, at first there are 5 studios known as Big Five in Hollywood. Now, according to Boxofficemojo.com, there are 1093 studios in Hollywood. In that, there are 17 major studios which reach over 1billions dollars, including warner Bros, Buena Vista, Sony/Columbia, 20th Century Fox, Paramount, Universal, MGM/UA, so on. The major studios gross 95% the box office in America.
- Genres in Hollywood:
Hollywood movies are based on one of these genres.
- Action • Adventure • Animation • Biography • Comedy • Crime • Culture and Society • Dance • Documentary • Drama • Fantasy • Historical • Horror • Musical • Mystery • Romantic • Science Fiction • Sports and Recreation • Suspense / Thriller
Besides it, Hollywood learns to create other styles of genres from other countries industry, so the genres are more and more various.
(show a video about some blockbusters of Hollywood’s studios in variety of genres.)
- The number of films released annually
The largest film producer is India with over 1000 films every year, but annually Hollywood also makes hundreds of films. Specifically, please look at the table in the screen. In 2014, Hollywood produced 702 movies and totally grossed nearly 10.4 billion dollars. In 2015, 698 movies grossed over 11.1 billion dollars.
- Box Office:
The box office all time worldwide shows that: There are 10 films made more than $ 1 billion for each. In that, 8 of them are part of famous franchises and 7 of them are sequels.
The box office all time USA shows that: There are 10 films grossed the highest box office. In that, 3 films made more than $ 5millions for each, 6 of them are part of famous franchises and 5 of them are sequels
In short, Hollywood is the most popular film industry with the highest grossing film industry in the world as well The US.
An interesting point, most of the highest grossing is sequels.
- Stars and celebrities
- There are thousands celebrities in Hollywood. Apart from beautiful women, handsome actors, and interesting movies, Hollywood is popular for its riches. Actors, actresses, and directors in this entertainment industry take home colossal amounts of money yearly, making them some of the richest celebrities worldwide. However, like all other sectors in life, Hollywood celebrities are not equal. While most earn decent salary, the top 10 richest celebrities in the industry in 2015 are.
- Some quotes of famous people talking about Hollywood.
- Hollywood has always been a cage …. A cage to catch our dream (John Huston)
- Hollywood is place where they’ll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul. (Marilyn Monroe)
- I believe that Gods feels sorry for actors, so he created Hollywood to give them a place in the sun and swimming pool. The price they had to pay was surrender their talent (Cedric Hardwicke)
- If I fail, the film industry writes me off as another statistic. If I succeed, they pay me a million bucks to fly out to Hollywood and fart. (George A. Romero)
- Oscar Award
The Academy Awards, or “Oscars”, is an annual American awards ceremony hosted by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (A.M.P.A.S.) to recognize excellence in cinematic achievements in the United States film industry as assessed by the Academy’s voting membership. The various category winners are awarded a copy of a statuette, officially called the Academy Award of Merit, which has become commonly known by its nickname “Oscar”. The awards, first presented in 1929 at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, are overseen by A.M.P.A.S
Oscar is now seen live in more than 200 countries and can be streamed live online
The 88th Academy Awards ceremony was held at the Dolby Theatre on February 28, 2016 and hosted by Chris Rock. A total of 2,947 Oscars have been awarded since the inception of the award through the 87th
In short, we need to remember that:
Hollywood is a real legendary symbol of film-industry all over the world. It is “The Dream Factory”, “The Kitchen of big business” and “The Artificial Paradise”.
Nowadays, Hollywood is also a real magical place with a lot of famous destinations and celebrities. And is a live fairy-tail for talented directors, actors and writers.